This is a Sour Cherry Soup that I made in Budapest at ChefParade Cooking School. It’ a cold soup-perfect for Summer!
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound fresh sour cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- large saucepan; cook cherries with water and 3/4 cup sugar until done, about 10 minutes. You can use canned sour cherries too.
- medium bowl; mix sour cream with flour, salt and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- When cherries are done, temper the sour cream mixture with a few ladles of hot cherry liquid, whisking until smooth. Transfer to the pan with the cherries and whisk until smooth. Simmer 5 minutes. do not bring to a boil
- Cool in an ice water bath. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the soup to prevent a skin forming and refrigerate until cold. We made this as a first course..Hungarian style but you could serve as a dessert with a dollop of sour cream.
Of course, this delicious recipe wouldn’t have come to life without the help of our instructor, Illa!